Improve balance, acceleration, and speed.
Using four cones or poles, make a diamond with 1-yard sides. Place a fifth and sixth cone 10 yards in front of the diamond, with 5 yards between them, creating a finish line. Groups of 5 to 10 players stand in a line behind the southernmost cone. Each player performs the activity and then walks to the end of the line.
The first player starts in the center of the diamond with his feet together. In quick succession, he jumps with feet together over the cone or pole to his left, back to the center, over the cone or pole to his right, back to the center, and then runs to the cone 10 yards in front of him.
• Keep your feet together. Use your arms to help balance. Land on the front part of the foot.
• Accelerate using the front part of the foot.
1. Players perform jumps with their backs to the finishing cone, then turn and run facing forward.
2. Players hop on one foot over the left cone, back to center, over the right cone, back to center, and then run forward. Repeat using opposite foot.
3. Players roll, tumble, or perform a header while running to the finishing line.
4. Each player performs a technical action at the finishing line. Technical actions could include passing to a designated player or taking a goal shot.
5. Each player receives the ball from a server (a designated player standing 10 yards past the finish line) and performs a technical action—volley, header, goal shot—at the finish line, then passes the ball back to the server.