Passing Combination One
The players work in groups of four. They use their right foot for two minutes and then their left foot for two minutes. All of the combinations only work with the right winger. To work on the left side, Player 2 stands on the other side of the mannequin and Player 3 stands on the opposite cone.
Player 1 plays the ball to Player 2 who is has checked away from then back at an angle. Player 2 sets the ball back to Player 1 and then spins around the outside of the mannequin. Player 1 passes the ball to Player 3 who sets it to Player 2. Player 3 spins around the cone for Player 2 to play a return pass to him. Every player moves forward one place and the drill starts again with a pass from Player 4.
– Pace and quality of the pass
– Movement of Player 2 and 3 to receive the ball (away first, check shoulder, body shape – side on)
– Think, “Could I turn and go myself”
– Movement of Player 2 after the set
Player 1 passes to Player 2 who has checked away and then come back. Player 2 then turns inside to face the mannequin. Player 3 checks away as Player 2 is receiving the ball and turning. Player 2 passes to Player 3 who has come back to show for the ball. Player 2 then runs past the mannequin to the center cone and plays a give-and-go with Player 3 who then dribbles to the start.
The players rotate and use each foot for two minutes as before.
– Movement of Player 2 (checking away and back as before)
– Quality of Player 2’s pass (pace, no back lift, disguise)
– Movement of Player 3 (Timing – wait until – Player 2 looks at you)
– Player 2’s movement behind the mannequin after the pass
– Quality of Player 3’s pass back to Player 2