Create two 2 yard gates with different colored cones. Divide the team in half to ensure more repetition. Two players (receivers) should be a yard or two behind the gate without a ball. All other players should be in a line facing the gate with a ball at their feet.
- The first player in line passes to the receiver and follows his/her pass to become the next receiver.
- Receivers “clear the space” take a touch behind one of the discs and dribble the ball back to their line.
- The new receiver should call for the ball from the next player in line. Exercise continues.
- Coach calls a color, now the receiver must clear the space behind that disc. This will demand a higher level of focus and reaction speed.
- Variation 1: Have the player call the color right as he passes the ball.
- Variation 2: Have the player toss the ball so the reception is an aerial one.