The Set-up (pictured)
4 to 6 players per group. Grids should be 15 yards long x 12 yards wide. Place one pugg goal on the end-line
Red plays the ball out to White.
- Red moves quickly to seal off the goal (angle of approach)
- Close the space (speed of approach)
- Get in a good defensive stance (don’t be square/ remain on the balls of your feet).
- Red should begin to slow down and get “side on” as he approaches the attacker.
- Defender should be patient and not “dive in”. Force the attacker onto his/her weak foot.
Attackers should be daring and take the defender on. If the defender is slow to seal off the goal the attacker can shoot directly in to the pugg goal.
If the defender wins the ball, he/she should attempt to play the ball to the coach. This will teach the defender to get their head up and look to play forward immediately.
Rotation: After you defend you go to the end of the attacking line. After you attack, go to the end of the defensive line.
Variation: Change the location of the goal, change where Red plays the ball from.