- Organize the players in a 40-yard circle with four cones placed in the center as shown in the diagram.
- Start with two balls.
- Dribble into the center square, dribble out and pass to another player, then take his place on the circle perimeter.
Add the following conditions:
- Left/right foot only
- Perform a turn in the center
- Change of pace, go in slow, come out fast.
- Change direction
- Don’t let gaps appear on the circle perimeter
- Communicate, and move around the edge to fill any spaces
- Start with two balls – add or take away balls as necessary
Once the player has been through the center square, instead of passing the ball to another player, the receiving player ‘takes’ the ball in a take-over move.
In this example, player A dribbles the ball into the center of the circle and passes to player B. Player B passes back with one touch to player A who then passes one touch to player C. Player C continues the drill by dribbling into the center of the circle. Again, start with two balls and adjust accordingly.
This exercise helps build quick play around the goalbox.
- One-touch passes if possible
- Always be ready ‘off’ the ball
- Fill the gaps around the circle as the players move
- Be aware of where the other balls are and don’t dribble to that area
- Try to increase the speed of drill
- The ‘set up’ pass must be of good quality to allow the next player to pass with one touch
This exercise helps the following:
- Technical – pace and angle of pass
- Fitness – sprinting, running
- Mental – always thinking